Monday, March 10, 2014

First YA Review: Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando

ISBN: 978-0316217491
December 24, 2013
Amazon Link
 Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando for a college feel.

Overall Roomies was an enjoyably fast, YA chick lit read. The story begins with Elizabeth from New Jersey receiving an email about her roommate situation for her upcoming year at The University of California, Berkeley. Elizabeth reaches out to her roommate Lauren from San Francisco via email and conversations filled with secrets, gossip, and cat-fights begin to stir creating an unlikely friendship within the sixty five days of summer.

Five years ago I was placed in Lauren and Elizabeth’s shoes. I saw both myself and my roommate represented in Lauren and Elizabeth. However, I couldn't depict one character as myself or my roommate because we both shared characteristics from both main characters. But I found that I relate more to Lauren then I did with Elizabeth. My roommate moved from Florida to Ohio as I lived in Ohio several hours away from the University. I found Elizabeth’s perspective more engrossing due to her secrets. The emotions which unravel throughout the book are easy to relate to.

I would recommend this book to incoming college freshman and for post graduates who in general miss their roommate and college life. This is intended more for a mature audience, themes along the lines of sex and homosexuality are mentioned throughout.

I had the opportunity to meet Sara Zarr last year in New York. 
Have you read Roomies? Comment and let me know what you think!


Published by M

No comments:

Post a Comment